About Leatherwood Cabin
Leatherwood Cabin is a charming retreat located in the heart of the Highlands Nature Sanctuary. The cabin is perched on a forty foot bluff overlooking the Rocky Fork Creek, and is just a half mile walk from our main visitor center, the Appalachian Forest Museum. Leatherwood is perfect for small retreats of up to 4 guests.
Visitors can relax on the spacious deck that surrounds the cabin and listen to the sound soft of rushing water and gentle breezes, while enjoying the pastoral view of the Rocky Fork directly below the deck. A short walk or drive down the scenic country road brings visitors past Beechcliff Lodge to the Appalachian Forest Museum and nature trails to the Rocky Fork Gorge.
Leatherwood is closer to the road than our other lodges, and sits within a small rural community of other rentals, summer homes and residences. Typical residence-related sounds such as barking dogs and lawnmowers may sometimes be heard by guests. Guests seeking more isolation should look into the Zen River Room or the Eyrie Suite, which are set further back off the road.
- Master bedroom – Queen bed, glass door to deck overlooking the Rocky Fork Creek.
- Second bedroom – Double bed.
- Fully heated and air conditioned.
- Full kitchen – refrigerator, four-burner stove, coffee maker, toaster, microwave.
- Living room with picture window, dining table, and comfy couch set.
- Spacious outdoor decks overlooking the Rocky Fork Creek with Adirondack chairs.
- Free pass to the 16 miles of trails at the Highlands Nature Sanctuary for the duration of your stay.
Please note: Fireplace is decorative only, not functional.