Pay Rate: $15.00 / per hour
The Arc of Appalachia Preserve System is a non-profit organization that preserves land in Ohio and provides opportunities for the public to engage with the natural world. We are hiring a new team member for our housekeeping staff who will help clean and prepare our overnight rental lodges and our Forest Museum for visitors. We are seeking someone that is friendly, professional, and efficient, and who takes pride in their work. This position would be well-suited for someone who enjoys working independently, multi-tasks well, and has a flexible schedule.
There are up to eight lodges at present that you will be maintaining as part of the housekeeping team, which are all located in the 3000+ acre Highlands Nature Sanctuary. You will coordinate with other staff members to keep the facilities spotlessly clean but typically you will be working independently. You will be in direct communication with the housekeeping manager regarding assignments and needs, and your work will be evaluated and checked periodically.
The Highlands Nature Sanctuary is the Arc of Appalachia’s oldest and largest nature preserve. At its center is the beautiful Rocky Fork Gorge. This area is renowned for its wildflower displays, interesting rock formations, and network of caves that serve as a sanctuary for bats. Our historic cabins and older homes that serve as our overnight lodging have been fully renovated into modern nature retreats, ranging from secluded 2-person suites perched on the bluff of the gorge that offer dizzying views, to five-bedroom historic lodges that handsomely accommodate small groups and educational gatherings.
The position is seasonal and runs from March through November with an average of 15 to 30 hours weekly depending on lodge bookings. A flexible schedule including evening and weekends is required to meet lodging needs, as well as sharing on-call responsibilities for emergency requests.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs housekeeping services in the Arc’s public buildings, such as lodges and museums, both in the buildings’ interiors, and if assigned, the exteriors.
- Maintains a high level of detail-oriented cleanliness and aesthetics in Arc buildings, utilitizing non-chemical cleaning agents
- Daily tasks will include sweeping, mopping, tidying, laundry of linens and towels, dishwashing, trash and recycling removal, leaf blowing, and pressure washing.
- During special events at the Arc this person may be asked to help as needed.
- The position requires a professional attitude when working with staff, lodging guests and other visitors to the Arc of Appalachia.
- Experience in professional cleaning
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred
- Must use own Vehicle, have valid Driver’s License and Insurance to move between facilities with cleaning tools, trash, recycling, laundry, and etc. (Mileage Compensated)
- Several of our lodges require carrying laundry and trash a distance up to 150 feet to vehicle.
- The ability to stand and or walk continuously, as well as crouch, push/pull, squat and work above the shoulders during the performance of the daily job routine.
Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org: 1) A resume including experience, qualifications, and references, and 2) a cover letter that includes an explanation of a work place challenge you have overcome in the past.
We are in IMMENSE need of volunteers who enjoy healing the land and working outdoors to remove invasive plants from our vulnerable ecosystems.