Serpent Mound Park Manager
Would you like to work at the largest effigy Native American sites in Ohio? The Arc of Appalachia is looking for a manager to work at Serpent Mound to help oversee the day to day operations of the park.
Serpent Mound is the largest surviving example of a prehistoric effigy mound in the world. Stretching 1,348 feet over the ground, the beautifully preserved ancient earthwork depicts larger-than-life sinews of an immense serpent, with an intriguing oval shaped head. The Serpent continues to elicit humility, wonder, and awe – drawing tens of thousands of visitors a year from across the country and the world. In addition to the Serpent, the park preserves three burial mounds of the Adena and Fort Ancient Cultures, and ancient village sites.
The park is owned by the Ohio History Connection and managed by the Arc of Appalachia Preserve System.
Arc of Appalachia Preserve System:
The non-profit Arc of Appalachia was founded in 1995 as a grassroots organization. Since our inception we have raised over thirteen million dollars for forest conservation. We currently steward eight-teen preserve regions, operate three visitor centers, and teach forest literacy courses. The Arc works to accomplish forest preservation by buying forested land in key botanical “hotspots” and then slowly expanding those forests in size as funds for land procurement allow, allowing the woodlands to naturally age and diversify. In addition to forest preservation, the Arc also preserves important associated Eastern ecosystems such as wetlands and native prairies, as well as ancient American Indian earthworks. The majority of the Arc of Appalachia’s preserves lie between the Scioto and the Ohio River on the Ohio-Kentucky border. Here the forest-clad Appalachian foothills wash up like an emerald sea against the shores of the highly developed farmlands covering the Midwest, where the forest has mostly vanished.
Pay Type: Negotiable, based on education and experience
Sick Time, Vacation & Holidays: per Employee Policy Manual
Daily Working Hours: Flexible work schedule based on seasonal operation hours and staff schedule, varies by season. Weekend work necessary during peak visitation seasons.
Weekend Work: Usually works both Saturday and Sunday during main visitation season
On call:24/7 emergency management services for Serpent Mound
Housing: housing likely offered at the Highlands Nature Sanctuary, please inquire
Mileage Reimbursement:per Employee Policy Manual
Supervisor: Executive Director
How to Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter explaining why you would be a good candidate for this position to Kayla Rankin at Services@arcofappalachia.org.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervision: Supervises all staff based at Serpent Mound, as well as any interns and volunteers working at the site.
- Hiring Management:Hires, supervises, and trains all staff headquartered at Serpent Mound. Currently, the park hires 3-5 seasonal workers in visitor services and park maintenance.
- Operations & Visitor Services: Oversees the day-to-day operations of Serpent Mound. Ensures quality of visitor experience, including visitor welcome, orientation, proper signage, education, public programs, and safety.
- Site Maintenance Management:Ensures proper maintenance and aesthetics of the site facilities, good stewardship of the earthworks, and maintenance of the trails and site landscaping. Coordinates with the Arc of Appalachia Facility Manager as directed. Performs seasonal duties, including opening and closing the restrooms and Museum seasonally.
- Office Management:Oversees office systems and timely and accurate records as assigned. , Prepares or oversees the accurate preparation of deposits and sales records; manages site bookkeeping in accordance with Arc policies and procedures. Maintains data entry related to Serpent Mound, including attendance forms, volunteer data, email list signups, and payroll submission for site employees. Complies with financial standard set by the Financial Director
- Site Promotion:Promotes site to the general public through media, interviews, and professional and personal networks. Supports staff members at the Arc Headquarters in all matters related to promotion.
- Events & Education:Designs and coordinates a dynamic calendar of special events offered throughout the year for the purpose of bringing in new visitors, providing expansive high-quality education experiences for the public, and raise citizen support for the site. Ensures quality educational content for school groups and other group tours; oversees coordination and scheduling. Supports staff members at the Arc Headquarters in all matters related to promotion.
- Public Information:Ensures proper and professional response to information phone lines and emails, scheduling picnic shelter and group reservations.
- Liaison to Ohio History Connection(OHC):Serves as liaison with OHC in areas assigned, assists in the fulfillment the OHC management contract. Attends OHC meetings, as requested and authorized.
- Public Relations:Builds and maintains supportive relationships in the community. Develops working relationships with local governments, schools, nonprofits, and community leaders.
- Volunteer Coordination:Builds a strong and dynamic volunteer program to assist in a variety of operations and educational capacities. Works professionally with local volunteer groups associated with the sites. Keeps volunteer records per Arc procedures and policies.
- Organization Policies:Adheres and enforces all policies and directives of the organization.
- Team Work. Works as a team with other Arc staff specialists to create an efficient, stable, and well-organized work environment.
- Administration:Contribute to the sites’ master plans as requested and attend administrative meetings as assigned, both on-site and off.
- Other Duties as Assigned.
- Management experience is preferred.
- Experience in supervising and training employees.
- Education & Event Organization experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with the public, outside agencies and co-workers.
- Basic Computer Skills are required.
- Must know how to work Microsoft Word & Excel.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work Weekends.
- Must maintain a valid Ohio’s driver’s license.
Seasonal Preserve Trail and Maintenance Worker
Seasonal Preserve Trail & Maintenance Worker
Pay Rate: $11 – $12 / per hour
The Arc of Appalachia is seeking a seasonal trail and maintenance worker for our preserve system.
Headquarters: the Highlands Nature Sanctuary
Hours: 32 to 40 hours/week, overtime eligible
Pay Type: hourly
Weekend Work Required: as assigned or as needed to fulfill work requirements
Daily Working Hours: Flexible work schedule
Supervisor: Land Stewardship and Volunteer Manager
Housing Provided: housing may be available if needed as a monthly rental
Transportation: vehicle provided, reimbursement for personal mileage is not permitted unless authorized
Duties and Responsibilities
Assists Stewardship Manager with Arc Hiking Trails.
Assists with maintenance and installation of hiking trails as assigned.
Maintains all trailheads by trimming and mowing around the parking areas, and removing weeds with herbicide on the graveled trailheads when needed.
Assists Stewardship Manager with invasive plant removal as assigned.
Applies herbicides in accordance with government regulations and policies that apply to the organization.
Maintains the manicured landscapes within the Arc preserve system by routine mowing and trimming.
Assist in implementing strategic plan priorities and conservation management plans, as assigned.
Maintenance Tasks and Equipment Maintenance.
Operates and maintains equipment and tools in good working order as instructed, including proper fueling, greasing, and cleaning of tools in accordance with provided training.
Assists Facility Manager.
Assists facility manager with labor and expertise on facility projects as assigned, collaborating and cooperating on projects where extra hands are needed.
Assists Land Steward & Volunteer Manager.
Assists Land Steward Manager with labor and expertise on projects as assigned, collaborating when extra hands are needed
Conducts one’s behavior and appearance in an appropriate manner to enhance the image and standing of the Arc with the local communities.
Special Projects and other duties as assigned, including readying facilities for education programs or other Arc activities as assigned.
· Experience driving a pickup truck with a trailer is desired
· Experience using a riding lawn mower and running a string trimmer is desired
· Experience with running and maintaining chainsaws and working with hand tools is desired.
· Knowledge and interest in land management, and environmental stewardship
· Ability to identify some native and invasive plants, additional training provided.
· High School Diploma or equivalent preferred.
· Must use own vehicle, have valid driver’s license and insurance. Use of work truck available for towing the trailer and mower.
Send the following to the Land Stewardship Manager, Tim Pohlar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit a resume including experience, qualifications and references with a cover letter.
We are in IMMENSE need of volunteers who enjoy healing the land and working outdoors to remove invasive plants from our vulnerable ecosystems.
The Arc operates Museums and Visitor Centers for the public at both the Highlands Nature Sanctuary and Fort Hill. Museum Hosts greet visitors, help orient them to hiking trails in the entire Arc System, and interpret the outstanding natural history of their sites.
Museum hosts work weekends during the April through October Museum season, covering shifts that range from 5 – 7 hours a day – usually working an average of one or two days a month. Lodging is available.
The Arc has a training day for new hosts and old each March, and a reunion in the fall. Sign up for our email updates to receive dates of our host spring orientation. If you have any questions in the meantime, write to email@example.com.